6.13.2013

An Interview with Lauren K.

I've known Lauren most of my life, but it wasn't until around two years ago when I learned she was an author.  I'm currently reading her most recent novel and have learned to appreciate her enrapturing description paragraphs, exciting (or...annoying) plot twists, and witty, casual, from-the-heart dialogue.
But she should talk for herself.
Below are some questions I asked and answers she gave, so without further ado, allow me to introduce Ms. Lauren!

What books have you written/are writing?
I've probably started approximately four/five-ish books in my life time but haven't exactly finished any (if you don't count short stories).  I usually get a better idea halfway through the book and abandon my old one until further development.  However, I am determined to finish my current novel, which remains untitled.  I've become quite attached.  :)

Where do you find most of your inspiration?
Hah.  Well, I must admit it is quite biased.  For the parts that aren't brought about by my dangerous habit of daydreaming, my inspiration lies with the stories, places and people that I find most disagreeable.  I take their faults and imagine how they could be changed or removed to make a more pleasant (or at least amusing) plot.  I also take the most promising or intriguing faults themselves, play with them until I am content, and plop them right down into my storyline.

Do you have any author-role-models?  If so, who?
This is a difficult question.  Oh, how may I choose?  To name some, I admire Rick Riordan's humor, the artful suspense of Suzanne Collins, Charles Dickens' elegant turns of phrase, and I adore the character developments and plot simplicity of C.S. Lewis.  He and I are of the same mind: preferring action to lengthy description.  It allows...a sort of freedom of vision.

When did you first start writing?
That, yet again, is a difficult question to answer.  For as long as I can remember, I have imagined, and imagination is the discernible cause for the creation of stories.  Though as for the actual putting of pen to paper (or finger to keyboard), when I was in early elementary school I used to make little books out of construction paper to give to my grandparents for Christmas and birthdays.  They would usually contain the adventures of Stop & Go, a yellow lab and black cat pair that were the brainchildren of my mother.

Do you have a favorite/least favorite word?
My least favourite word is emboss, for at its hand I suffered a tragic childhood experience that has scarred me against it forever.  I do not have a single favourite word; I have a list full of them, containing specimens such as belligerent, gleam, fleck, and malevolent.

Do you have a favorite character (from your stories)?
How can you ask a mother to pick her favourite child?  Fine.  It would be a competition between my two main characters: Tristan, a teasing, kick-butt knight with a tragic past and a daring future, and Bracken, the small town girl, not to be underestimated, who is thrown unceremoniously into a chain of events affecting the world(s) as we know them.

Do you have a favorite character (from any novel)?
Definitely Elizabeth Bennet from Pride & Prejudice.  No doubt.

Write on!
Clove
P.S. Learn more about Lauren here.

No comments:

Post a Comment