9.20.2013

What did I just read...?

I don't normally do synopses.  In fact, unless if I read something this horrifying again, I never will.

So today, I was assigned to read "To Build a Fire" by Jack London.
This whole blog is a spoiler, a synopsis of the novelette WITH the end, so if you want to read it and enjoy it, go ahead.  Just know that it makes no censored censored sense to me why the censored censored you'd censored with censored censored.
(Clean version: it makes no sense to me why you'd do that.)



The story begins with a man.
And a smart dog.
In the Yukon.
And it's COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD.

All right, everyone.  Knowing the depressed, Goth, funeral executioner Jack London must have been when he wrote this story, GUESS how the story will end.  ...  Got a good idea?

If you said like, "man freezes to death", you are absolutely correct.

Man walking along, chewing tobacco in what he thinks is negative fifty degrees but is really negative seventy degrees.
Tobacco juice is dribbling down chin, freezing his face off.
NOT a good idea.
Man keeps walking along.  Man keeps chewing tobacco, making tobacco juice icicle off his beard.  Man slips and falls into cold water.  Man's shins and feet are soaked.  Man tries to build fire to thaw his feet.  Snow from trees falls on fire.  Man fails.  Man tries to run to home.  Man fails because he overestimates his own strength.  Man falls on ground.  Man tries to get up.  Man fails.  Man, at this points, knows if he survives, he's going to lose fingers and toes.  Man decides to kill smart dog and stay warm in smart dog's carcass.  Man's fingers are so numb, he can't kill smart dog.  Man fails.  Now insane man decides to take a nap.

MAN DIES.

WHAT THE censored censored censored DID I JUST READ?!

NOOO.
Clove

No comments:

Post a Comment