A new year is rolling around, and bloggers everywhere are talking about resolving themselves to greater and grander things. Honestly, I'm no exception. Making New Year's resolutions help me to focus on what I want instead of drifting aimlessly from day to day. If you don't do resolutions, I highly recommend that you do. In consideration that your goals are actually reasonable, you'll see that you have more drive, that you feel more accomplished, and that you actually get things done.
Concerning writing, I simply said in my resolutions for 2013:
-I want to write my story for 1 hour minimal, 7 times a week.
-I want to write a spiritual book of memoirs for girls in the next generation.
On the other hand, while I may have failed both of those points, here are some other things that God providentially did throw at me:
-I got back to co-writing with my heroic, godly, amazing brother.
-I got to begin a role-playing-ish blog with some of my most cherished mentors and dearest friends.
-I wrote a dozen or so poems (whose whereabouts are scattered and, therefore, hard to accurately count).
-When they're all added up, all the self-memoirs I wrote would probably fill an entire notebook.
-I posted 146 blog posts!!!
-I wrote an entire short story for this guy, which is an effort that I have never made before.
-I finished editing Death Would Be So Near, an old story, and put it on the shelf, considering it a good 400 or 500 hours of the 10,000 necessary to become a technical "writing master".
-I started a new, full-length story (whose title I am still without) that is being posted monthly on this site.
Crazy, isn't it? While it may seem like I let down my resolutions, I feel like I went over and above what I demanded of myself. If you take the time to list out your writing accomplishments this year, I bet that you'll also see a good deal of improvement.
This year, I've said:
-I want to write my story for 1 hour minimal, 7 times a week.
-I want to write the sequel to The Immortals.
-I want to write at least three pieces of thanksgiving poetry each month.
Even though those aren't super crazy, I know and trust that creativity will break my restrictions and all sorts of glorious words will spill out.
What are your writing resolutions and victories?
Write on!
Clove
Wow...you just made me feel very guilty. ;) Good luck.on all your resolutions! The only resolution I've made is to finish my one big project. (I've been working on it for about a year, so I think I need to wrap it up some time soon....:))
ReplyDelete