Have you just eaten a big dinner?
Good.
I have too.
But what does a full stomach have to do with the price of tea in China?
*evil laugh*
...you'll have to wait and read...
So on the fourth day of vacation, I walked down a fishing pier with my family. You know, being Korean, the smell of fish and fish themselves have been wired as "homey" and "delicious" in my blood and brain. I mean, one of the main Korean exports is fish; all Korean markets have rows of fresh fish and bins of live crabs and tanks of lobsters. Consequently, I love seafood - raw, fried, baked, or grilled.
Period.
However, on that fourth day, I saw something...fishy [enter CSI Miami intro scream] on that pier that made my stomach flip. If I could've gotten a picture of it, I would've posted the picture (worth a 1000 words) and would've been done with the ordeal. Alas, (lucky you), I didn't, so...to make up for this massive misfortune, here are 168 words, describing the oh-so-picturesque scene:
~ ~ ~
Dramatized in grim evening light, dark yellowish-brown water, uncirculated in the bay, lapped up against the debris-defiled shore. Out from the surface of the vile sea water jutted a boardwalk's pillars, thick wooden poles spiked with white crusty barnacles and colored a shocking lime hue due to algae. After several moments, in which seagulls shrieked their strident, hysterical cries, silent wind rippled the water's surface, and the smell of salt and fish wafted in land.
That was when I saw it.
A meter from land, the mangled head of a massive fish, as ghostly and pale as a cadaver, was floating lifelessly on the top of the filthy water, its off-white spine arcing down to the ocean's floor. Next to the horrible organism was its brother, another head of a fish, whose unblinking, bulging eyes were twisted back to glare at the tiny black minnows that gnawed viciously and greedily on its bones.
Another warm breeze stirred up the predators, and old, rotten blood clouded the sea.
~ ~ ~
Muahahaha, yay, now have your dinner back and, as always~
Write on!
Clove
P.S. Favorite part of day 4 on vacation: meeting this older couple (the husband was a military man; the wife was a Korean woman) at the fishing pier and watching that loco Korean woman pull in, like, a fish every five minutes. Worst part of day 4 on vacation: seeing what I described above.
No comments:
Post a Comment