11.03.2013

Freestylin'

It's been six days since I last posted, and I've sat down at the computer each of those days, pondering what to blog about but ending up empty-handed every single time.  I guess that's because I've so preoccupied with other projects.

--My teacher gave me back an old, old, 120 page+ edit of DWBSN that I gave her, and I'm reviewing the text, copying some phrases and sentences that I like before I trash the rest.
--I'm still working on the co-story that Josh and I are writing.  The first novel I ever started was in the fantasy genre, and I'm heading back there now with great anticipation.  The challenge of creating an entirely new world is thrilling...and challenging!  x)
--I've put the finishing touches on my birthday present story to this guy.  After his birthday, I'll be posting it here in three parts.  (It's really, really long.  I started, thinking it'd be about 9-12 pages, but the words just kept coming.  All in all, it's 50 pages, ladies and gents, 50 pages of drugs, assassins, an Organization, and Japanese weapons.  Fun stuff.)
--I found myself writing fan-poetry for an anime I finally just finished - Fate/Zero.  That's been taking up some of my time.
--Of course, I'm still plugging away at the story that you all are seeing here every month.  Chapter 3 is on the way; I have two editors who are giving it a thorough scan, and they're not quite done yet.

That said...

I wanted to discuss freestyle-rapping, which, I know, I know, isn't what you're expecting to read on a writing blog.  Just hang in there until I make my point.
Old-school freestyle-rapping used to be where one person would rap impromptu without music and make up rhymes that either made sense or, more than not, didn't.  Nowadays, freestyle-rapping is basically the same thing, only the lyrics are pre-written.  Some people will do rap battles, where they try to use ingenuity, quick-thinking, and puns to, on-the-spot, diss their opponent.
(Maybe you've done something of the sort with a sibling...?)

Now, to get to my point, I'm here to encourage you all to become freestyle poets.

There must be a name for this exercise, but as far as I'm concerned, there isn't.  I'll just call it freestyle poetry, and if I'm wrong, correct me.  Freestyle poetry is where you write a speech that has rhyme but no rhythm.  If you want an example of freestyled poetry that I've done, you can click here.

I honestly love freestyle poetry.  I write a speech, then sit in front of a computer for hours, switching out words for other words that rhyme.  In fact, I do it all the time.  My mind has gotten so wrapped around this hobby of mine, that I fear I'm intertwined with a need to incessantly rhyme...
...
Yup.

Write on!
Clove

2 comments:

  1. Just now noticed…your last post was about how you couldn't help but write after listening to these songs, and then, "pondering what to blog about but ending up empty-handed every single time." The irony of it! Hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe, yup. That's actually one of the reasons why I put up the songs; I needed to get into a writing mood.
      ...now the trick is getting into a "blogging" mood. x)

      Delete