Josiah, my younger brother, and I make it a point to, when we bring a box of cereal to the table, turn the box to the back and read that little memo thingymerbobber that talks about how such-and-such product is the best, the most nutritious, or the most delicious. We're both Grammar Nazi's, Warriors of the Red Pen (well, he's in training), and capable of listing every single punctuation and spelling rule that exists. Thus, we (geeks) find a good amount of entertainment in marking out the errors on published paragraphs.
That said, I just recently finished Fahrenheit 451, my official second favorite non-spiritual book, second only to Saint Augustine's Confessions. (At least...that's what I think...I haven't done an official list of my favorite books. I probably should some day though...) I noticed that Ray Bradbury, as he wrote, used punctuation only to signify pauses. Of course, there were periods at the end of every sentence, but even every sentence he wrote didn't include a subject and a verb.
And surprisingly, I can't even say it annoyed me.
It was smooth, classic, and flowing with a pace slow enough that I wasn't just reading a blur of words, but fast enough that I wanted to re-read it as soon as I put it down to make sure I caught everything.
Even more frustratingly, I've tried to study the book and analyze the writing style so I can mimic it myself, but...sad to say...I can't. The plot just draws me in with the fire, the funnels and water, the books, Clarisse McCellan, the parlor families, the seashells, the river, the Hound, the...the...the...
...er...
So, what was I talking about?
Right.
Why I hate grammar.
Well, after reading this book, I've found some sentences in my own stories that potentially could be broken into one independent clause and one dependent clause, but my grammar instincts prohibit me from such actions.
I want to write:
Keary turned to Tariq. “You knew I was going to be watching you in Samuel’s office, didn’t you?”
“Yeah. I guessed it. But don’t feel bad, Keary."
But my Grammar Warrior instincts kick in, and I end up writing:
"Yeah. I guessed it, but don't feel bad..."
It rushes too much, too emptily, too...ehhh...it lacks the proper feeling. I'm starting to think that in order to keep a good flow, sometimes, deviations from punctuation are necessary.
But anyway...that's just food for thought. :)
Write on!
Clove
Oh, wow your good! I am like, "This sentence makes sense, right? I mean, it's only missing a subject, er....and verb, but people'll get the gist." I wish I was more like you! :) I couldn't care less about grammar! I really only want to get the punctuation right! :D If you wanted to write more not-grammatically-correct sentences, you could try just to write like you talk. In my case, in half sentences. :) (Did you notice that I used the wrong 'your' in the first sentence? Just testing...:D)
ReplyDeleteHahaha, awww...I'm flattered, Jordan. x) I've been testing out grammar-deviations in a side-story I'm writing, and I totally get what you're saying about writing as you talk. Unfortunately, I talk like an illiterate dweeb sometimes, so... XD
DeleteP.S. Yes, I did catch the "your" and was screwing up my face, thinking, "Huh...she must just be writing quickly." Then I got to the last line and nearly fell out of my seat laughing so hard. :D
Bwahahaha!!!! It worked!!!! Wow, you really are a Grammar Nazi! :D
DeleteHehehe, thanks. XD Very clever of you to do that. ;D
Delete