7.25.2014

Prepare for a Grammar Nazi conversions in three...two...one...

Social media.  Online chatrooms.  Virtual schools.

More and more, conversation in life shifts from supremely slow snail-mail to the laid-back, rapid pace of a chat box.  With this shift (and a mass of abbreviations to boot), grammar and proper English are quickly spiraling down a tube until "lol-ing" and "y u do dis" are the only surviving phrases.

Now, I'm not saying that you should trash all of your internet jokes.  Doge memes depend on poor grammar for their humor.  (For example, you can't exactly say, "The picture was taken by such a camera", "The picture included many photoshops", "The picture instilled much boredom", and "Wow" while still earning "lol's" for your genius jokes.)  In most cases, I encourage the practice of internet joking, simply because irony and puns are two strong skills that can be honed by scrolling through memes.

What I am saying, though, is that I'm about to rant on the internet because I'm tired of walking into a virtual classroom each school year and getting:

"Woe, so ur an author, Clove?  I am too!!!  I love writing, though my grammer skills always bother my parents because i corrrect them all the time on their bad english, rofl."


*cues music and rant*


THE STORY OF MY LIIIFE,
I'VE HEARD IT AAALL:
YOUR CLAIMS TO WRITING AND PERFECT FOOORM
AND I'M...
PARALYYYZED.

*cuts music and rant*

Guys, the point of the story is: if you claim to be an author, practice your skills all the time, even and especially in a chatroom.  Out of this practice, you...
1.) add more minutes to your 10,000 hours
2.) avoid hypocrisssy
3.) appear more respectable
and 4.) become a ninja at typing quickly and grammatically correct.  (To be honest, the number one complaint given to me online is, "Wow, Clove, SLOW DOWN.  Give us a chance to type as well!"  If you practice proper typing until classmates can't keep up, imagine how fast you could pump out a story; basically, as fast as you could think up the next scene, it's down on paper.  Good stuffs, yes?)

Write on!
Clove

No comments:

Post a Comment