Well...the Lord was not willing that I would come back yesterday evening.
But here I am as promised! Along with me come the three, largest protagonists in my story: a female nobility, a female commoner, and a male assassin.
--Name: Pleibea Nomn
--Name symbolism: Pleibea is from the Latin word 'plebeius' meaning 'the common people.' The English dictionary also has the word 'plebeian' meaning 'a member of the lower social classes.' Pleibea's last name is reminiscent of the English word 'commoner.'
--Age: 16
--Appearance: Chocolate, frequently pony-tailed hair; clear brown eyes; high cheeks; un-chapped lips; tan skin. A word associated with her is 'fox.'
--Attitude: Makes choices; passionate; seeks the present win for herself
--Nationality: American
--(And for all you video gamers who know what I'm nerding about...) VG role: DPS
--Name: Patrya Starr
--Name symbolism: Patrya is from the Latin word 'patricius' meaning 'having a noble father.' The English dictionary also has the word 'patrician' meaning 'an aristocrat.' Patrya's last name...well, I'm not being too ambiguous. :)
--Age: 17
--Appearance: Navy blue, frequently let-down hair; bright blue eyes; small nose; bold, blue lips; pale skin. A word associated with her is 'night.'
--Attitude: Sensible; strategic; seeks the future win of the team
--Nationality: American
--VG role: Healer
--Name: Conner Seralia/Millis
--Name symbolism: Conner is my next-door neighbor; Seralia is a Spanish last name; I was feeling pretty uncreative when I decided I needed him. Millis is the name everyone but his enemies calls him. (Almost like Rick Riordan's Perseus Jackson.) Millis is from the Latin word 'miles' meaning 'soldier.'
--Age: 18
--Appearance: Black spiked hair; black eyes; strong, sharp nose; thin lips; strong jaw line; weathered, tan skin. As I'm still messing around with Millis, I have yet to find a good word associated with him.
--Attitude: Dispassionate, naturally a leader, stoic
--Nationality: Mexican
--VG role: Tank
As for what I'll be doing with these friends of mine, *evil laugh* you'll have to wait and see.
But I do want to point out an important relationship between my characters and your own writing career:
You can use the basic character set-up--the DPS, Healer, and Tank--and have most all "needed" characters covered.
Often times, when you write a story, you begin to realize half-way through with it that you need more protagonists. However, using the DPS, Healer, and Tank character profiles eliminates a lot of that "need."
The DPS is often (but not always) loud, humorous, and occasionally obnoxious; he contributes to his team by leadership and can be considered the 'beauty.'
The Healer is often (again, not always) the quiet, intelligent, patient member of the team who heals either emotional or physical wounds throughout the story. He can be considered the 'brains.'
The Tank is frequently stereotyped as clumsy, uncertain, and geeky or stoic, calculating, and cold, but he is always the one dealing the hits in a fight. The Tank is the 'brawns.'
Want examples?
The Percy Jackson series (Rick Riordan) - Percy is the DPS, Grover is the Healer, Annabeth is the Tank.
Full Metal Alchemist (for you anime fans) - Edward is the DPS, Winrey is the Healer, Al is the Tank.
The Twilight trilogy (Stephanie Meyer) - Bella is the DPS, Edward is the Healer, Jacob is the Tank.
Lord of the Rings (the movies more than the books) - Legolas is the DPS, Aragorn is the Healer, Gimli is the Tank.
So if you've always wanted to write a story but don't know how to start, picking characters is often a great place to begin. And if you create characters out of the above three profiles, you're sure to cover all your story's needs.
Write on!
Clove
Using a Twilight reference is taboo. Woe art thou! XD
ReplyDeleteI admit; the mawkish content of that series was somewhat disagreeable to a girl who likes to write as stoic, dispassionate characters.
DeleteThe writing style and voice, however, is better than anything I can pull off; I give Stephanie Meyer applause for that. :)
Interesting thoughts! And I like those characters...I have a feeling Patrya Starr. But I might just be drawn to the one you built on the same archetype as Aragorn.
ReplyDeleteHehe, yes, I think you'll like Millis quite a bit...he's definitely the most fun to write as.
Delete