Ever heard of a writing tick?
It's that word or phrase that you use over and over and over and over again.
Like recently, my writing tick has been the word "suddenly". I was writing the other day when I realized suddenly that I use "suddenly" more than is needed. It was a sudden dawning, and I went straight back to my recent writings, taking out the five "suddenly's" in two pages of writing. Suddenly, I just can't stop using suddenly.
My writing tick has suddenly become "suddenly".
(See what I did there? ;))
Then there are those ticks you get when you do long dialogue scenes and need stuff to go in between speakers.
Among some of my dialogue ticks are:
-He shrugged.
-She raised an eyebrow.
-He cocked his head.
-She tossed her hair.
-He shifted his position.
-She glanced at him.
I will use these phrases in copious amounts, and I really need to quit it out, but suddenly, I just--
NOOOOOOOOO.
Write on! x)
Clove
P.S. Have any ticks yourself? The comment box is below! :)
*eye twitch*
ReplyDeleteOf...of course not. What are you talking about?
Hahaha, the life of an author...never gets old. XD
Delete