BAM!
It hits you in the face like a Homeric simile.
Writer's block.
I'm currently working on three projects, and that's the three projects aside from the countless daily memoirs, speeches, blogs, journal entries, and description paragraphs that I do for fun. Last week, I was doing pretty well; I ironed out about 20 pages in a week, which isn't that bad at all.
Then today...
I sat down in front of the computer, pulled up all three of my projects, and stared at them...and stared...and stared...
And lost the stare-eye contest.
Ladies and gentlemen, I hit the dreaded, terrifying, paralyzing writer's block.
Which brought about a good question: how do you get out of writer's block?
1.) Ask yourself what your main characters want next. What drives a story is your main character's desire. (The Hunger Games is a good example; Katniss wants to survive with her family and friends. That is the thing that drives the story.)
Most of the time, when I hit writer's block, I have simply lost my character's passion, and when I've found it again, I'm back on track.
2.) If you found your character's heart-desire and are still stuck, then envision the next scene in your head like a mental movie. Let your mind do all the work and just sit back and watch on the big screen of your mind while listening to some Henry-Gregson Williams soundtrack.
Don't even think about writing anything at this point. No matter how clever the dialogue, how well you can see your character's faces, or how clearly you've obtained the mood, let the scene play itself out in you head until you have a good page or two to write.
3.) If you did 1 and 2 and are still stuck, chances are your brain is tired.
Go on a walk.
And don't think about anything. Eh-nee-theeng, got it? Just walk for five to ten minutes outside. I've done this at noon in summer in Georgia and in rain during winter. (Both times I took an umbrella.) If you're thinking of nothing, chances are you won't be thinking of how uncomfortable it is. Chances are your brain is subconsciously working on a break-through; it just needs a little more time before the big success.
(On the other hand, if you're a nature-person like me, the feeling of sun rays beating down on your sweaty back and the feeling of cold rain pattering on your face are two exhilarating things. Great for the inspiration to get out of writer's block.)
4.) If those don't work, put your work aside (as in, don't even open the document) and forget about it. Don't stress, don't think about it, don't stare at it in desperation.
Like I said, your brain is subconsciously drilling away at a handful of diamonds; let it do its thing in peace.
That being said, I need to take my advice and get back to my own writing...
Write on!
Clove
P.S. I guess I just haven't watched enough action movies because I'm stuck on suggestion 2, trying to envision a fight scene...
Literally, y'all, I'm five or less pages from being down with one of my projects, and I got writer's block NOW? Hehehe, wish me luck. o.o x)
No comments:
Post a Comment