"So what classes are you taking, Clove?"
"Ummm...let me think. This year, I'm proctoring Latin II and Music then (sort of) taking two Literature classes, Algebra, Biology, and a Religion/History/Rhetoric class."
"Rhetoric? Isn't that like Speech and Debate?"
"Errr...not...exactly..."
How many times have I had this conversation?
Gah, I've lost count.
For those of you who don't know what rhetoric is, here, have a dictionary*:
1.) The persuasive use of language.
2.) The rules that help one achieve eloquence.
3.) A treatise on persuasive language.
4.) A prose composition as a school subject.
5.) The bombastic or disingenuous use of language to manipulate people.
(*From the Oxford Webster Dictionary.)
I haven't officially taken rhetoric (sense 4), and I hate that some have defiled true rhetoric (sense 1) with fallacious "rhetoric" (sense 5). Rhetoric (sense 2) is a wonderful thing, and it helps, indefinitely, with, believe it or not, writing.
To explain this, let me ask yet again: writing is what? A way to convey emotions, right?
I can say with the voices of countless other authors that conveying emotion is not a shallow business. In order to properly write something that's not just an adrenaline-fetching beach novel, you have to know precisely what you believe. Your literary worldview must be extremely solid to craft a true masterpiece, and you can never really write about "sit-on-the-fence" beliefs.
For example, it's hard to write about emotions when you don't know what makes you feel fulfilled. Is it God? Is it a materialistic, like food, romance, or fame? Other good questions to ask are: what defines a human? what defines good morals? what is truth? why do you wake up every day? is teachability or pride better?
This is where rhetoric meets writing.
One of the best ways to know for certain that you have a good grasp on your worldview is by rhetoric. For example, I could read Paul's letter to the Romans, but I would know for certain I have a solid grasp on what I just read if I could teach it to my younger sister in a way she'd understand. Romans is part of my worldview; teaching is part of rhetoric. I could watch all twelve episodes of Darker Than Black Season Two, but I would know I have solid opinion about it if I could make a speech about it. Darker Than Black is a form of media which is seen by my worldview's gaze; a speech is part of rhetoric. Debates hold the same idea.
That being said, don't blow off rhetoric as some old-fangled thing that only geeks do. My religion/history/rhetoric class has helped incredibly with my writing, especially when I'm trying to explain a complicated idea or form a certain mood for a scene. Rhetoric has taught me to eliminate every unnecessary phrase and has taught me to make an undesirable (but true) theory seem promising.
Also, if you want to improve in your own rhetoric, write some speeches and find someone who is willing to be taught your ideas. If you can, get in a debate; get in a debate and take the side you don't agree with. You will see the benefits.
Or your money back. ;)
Write on!
Clove
No comments:
Post a Comment