10.22.2013

Masterdom

Scientifically...
*takes out steel-rimmed, bridge-taped glasses and puts them on*
...it takes 10,000 hours of focused, involved practice to become a literal 'master' at something, thus when someone brags that he/she is a 'master commander', I just laugh.  (*pointed glare*  You know who you are.  :D)  10,000 hours of focused, involved practice is necessary to become a master at writing too, and folks, those 10,000 hours are hours I am not bragging.

I'm the person who loves to go back into memories and journal entries and read of all the inane things I did way back.....a few months ago.....
*clears throat*
I also like to do the same thing with my stories, and if you don't, I advise you to do so.  Because you increase in skill for every hour of determined practice you spend, if you wrote two hours every day, you'd knock out 728 hours every year.  At that rate, it'd take you under 14 years to become a master.  Not bad, huh?
By going back and looking at stuff I, currently somewhere around hour 2,184, wrote during hour 573 of my career, I find that I've transcended many, many errors.  Plus, old, unfinished stories tend to contain small flashes of gold that I can use in my current writing.  Very handy, isn't it?

Just a few thoughts for y'all.  What hour are you on, junior-writing-master?

Write on!
Clove

6 comments:

  1. Hour..four? Five maybe? Actually, strange as this might sound, I've never counted how long I wrote in hours. Call me crazy.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I didn't count the hours either. I merely counted the estimate number of years I've been writing, then assumed I had written for 2 hours on average a day (which isn't unlikely), and did the multiplication...voila. x) I'm sure you're written more than four or five hours, Jordan. XD

      Delete
  2. *sticks nose up in the air*

    *stares down at post past upturned nose*

    *comments, because he is offended and this is the internet*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *comments in return, because comment debates are so 'in'*

      Delete
  3. umm how many hours... hmmm... I have no idea.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe, you can count the years of your writing career, safely assume you've written however many minutes, then multiply away. :D

      Delete